Monday, February 20, 2023

Vienna Feb 2023

WELCOME TO OUR VIENNA ADVENTURE

Wiener Schnitzel


We took the overnight train from Zurich to Vienna. Leaves at 9:39 pm & arrives 8am. Let’s try it why not?  Only I booked the wrong cabin—-thought I had 1 with toilet but didn’t. Had to put my clothes on at 12:30 am and 3:30am to find the nasty bathroom at the end of the car. 🤪

When we got off the train we bought a 72 hour Vienna City Card which really only gives you good discounts to public transportation. Since Vienna is a classic walking city with beautiful architecture, we probably just broke even with the card. 

World famous Vienna Symphony Orchestra. The piano part in the 2nd act was great. 

This is the symphony program I saw.  Famous piano player I saw (heard) is Rudolf Buchbinder, google the Grieg piece & you will recognize it.  That was a thrill.





Waited in line almost half an hour to have this famous pork schnitzel

Surprised so many people were wearing masks (~70%) and I thought hmmm, Europeans are smart to protect themselves in the winter. The next day we took the bus and an old Austrian lady gave me a dirty look when I sat next to her. Then she pulled her scarf over her nose as if to say “keep your Asian germs away from me”. Screw you.   I looked around, a man, a whole family + an old man were all wearing masks. I whipped out mine from my bag, held my head high & ignored her.  When she pressed the button to get out I quickly got up so she could get out and held myself back from tripping her.  

On our tram ride home we heard the speaker announcement (in German & English) that masks are required. Yet not everyone was wearing one. The hotel said it’s mandatory and for once David didn’t have one. He was so annoyed to go buy one with the 199 boxes of masks we have in Morges and NJ & 2 or 3 he has in every backpack (except the one he brought) . Next day he found 2 in his coat pocket which is good because we would have wasted 1/2 an hour buying one in a store [some people are easily distracted]. 

Our hotel was really good, centrally located, 2 stops away from main Central Train station:  Hotel Kaiserhoff, located near Opera 


Tour guide said don't overpay and wait in line for the "original" Sacher torte (which I love).  We found this place and brought a slice home with apple strudel.  Very satisfying but didn't buy boxes to bring home like other tourists



Sisi museum tells the story of the empress, now a Netflix movie which the tour guide said was not accurate 

We stumbled into St Peters church where hubby downloaded city maps & I enjoyed the organs and statues


Odd cherubs on each pew in St Peters church



Kris Kirche (St Charles Church), right near our hotel.  Cash only 5 Euro to get in w City Card but I only had 4 Euro cash & they let me in,  Thank you.  Later found more cash in my purse and felt guilty all day.  Will I go to hell?



Rarely do churches let you go up to the organ area. I was so happy to be next to this gigantic organ. 

I used this article to find local food

Where to eat Sacher Torte, wiener schnitzel, Austrian Goulash, Apple strudel etc

Austrian Goulash

World famous Viennese coffee

Next I'll write about the museums we enjoyed and share the 3 itinerary.

2 comments:

MyLeftBreast said...

Wow, this looks gorgeous and beautiful! Such a wonderful adventure you're on.

rubygott said...

Beautiful city and desserts fabulous.