Monday, April 23, 2018

The Cardinal versus the Robin

Look, look, a cardinal!  Don't move, come quick, walk quietly, you'll scare it.  Darn-why did you walk here so loudly you scared it away.

I love it when a cardinal comes.  Their majestic stance and vivid red color bring me peace and good luck.  I get so happy when a cardinal comes to me when I'm working on an important work project, or am thinking about a tough issue.  I know everything will turn out all right.
.
My love of birds has strangely worn on my husband [of all people!!!].  He can't stand it when I put feed in the bird feeder.  He bought a squirrel trap to catch the squirrels who eat my bird food.  He complains that there's so much bird shit on the roof and he is the only one who goes up on the roof when there's trouble

He told me one day a whole family of orange birds were in the backyard.  What kind?  Which?  What did they look like? I got so excited.  I've never seen an orange bird in my backyard.  How exotic.  I imagined a little, little orange chick-a-dee, a cross between a parakeet, hummingbird and baby yellow chick with butterfly-like wings.  Graceful with soft vivid fireball orange fur.

Yesterday he said look at that orange bird.  There it is--a whole family of babies and big birds were here last week.  OMG-it was an every day robin.  I didn't know robins came in baby sizes.  What's exotic to him is not exotic to me.  How strange that he got excited about a family of robins.

No comments: