Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Paris August 2026: Monet's Giverny

Day 2 

I ventured on the train to Monet's Giverny by myself because no one else was interested.  I loved it, Impressionism is my favorite genre.

I found a great blog that gave you step by step instructions on how to take the train, ticket to buy etc.


I had a 10am ticket and I rushed to the lily pond before it got crowded.  I didn't know waterlilies were in bloom in August/September so HOW LUCKY WAS I?  Imagine going and not knowing there's be no waterlilies?  
It rained but the clouds and gloomy feel of the day made beautiful reflections on the pond.  I toured Monet's house and the gardens and went back to the pond for a second round and it was much more crowded then.
The lady in the gift shop gave me the wrong time for the 20 minute bus ride back to the train station (weekday vs. weekend) and I had a 50 minute wait so walked back for a snack.  I met a man who said usually the train/shuttle bus was synced but because it was a weekend and lunchtime, schedules were off.  After waiting forever for the bus back, I had to wait an hour at the train station for the train back.  Luckily I had my book and will remember reading The Correspondent on this trip.  I mentioned to my Pilates class that I wanted to read this so badly but only in paperback on my trip.  A Pilates student went home to get it and returned with her paperback copy within one hour (HOW NICE WAS THAT?)

Son #2 found this restaurant right around the corner, known for Alsatian food. Bofinger.  Big pork knuckles and sauerkraut.  I walked there and asked for a reservation at 6:30 but they said it was fully booked, but come back at 6:30.  Good we got a table, bad we weren't a priority and had to wait a long time.  As I look back now, its a famous restaurant.


We always forget which oysters we like so to remember...we had the Oyster Tasting and liked the Gillardeau the best.


Look how big that pork knuckle is!



Our apt was near the Arc de Bastille and granddaughter enjoyed looking at the "fairy godmother" on top



No comments: