Tuesday, September 22, 2026

It All Began With a Question

It all began with this question.

"Do you want to go to the South of France to babysit while we go to a wedding?"

What?

My daughter-in-law said "We were invited to a wedding in Narbonne France on Labor Day weekend.  Do you want to go with us to babysit and vacation"?

WHAAAAT?

Is that a rhetorical question?  Of course. 

YES!

So off we went.  Hubby, me, son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter, and son #2.

Narbonne France is a two hour train ride north of Barcelona on the Spanish Coast.  We decided to start in Paris then take a 4 and a half hour train ride west to Narbonne.  Were we crazy to travel with a three year old?  Yes, but it was the trip of a lifetime.  Memories made for Grandma and Grandpa that I'll smile about forever.

THE BONUS

Honey do you want to continue on to San Sebastian Spain, home of pintxos (tapas) & the Basque country?  No, I don't want to go there or be away from home so long.  Within 7 hours two tennis buddies booked their flights and agreed to meet me in Barcelona for an unforgettable girls week (week +).

PARIS

We stayed in a great apartment in the Marais area, with an extra surprise-taxi stand right outside which came in handy with all the luggage, car seat, stroller, wedding attire, etc.  Old fashioned walk up inside a courtyard with plenty of codes to confuse you.  One toilet in one WC, separate bathtub in separate room and one master bathroom + a beautiful old fashioned tub.



Bought wine as often as we could, vintages not found at home.  Note nice ceiling

We watched a Free Palestine protest from our window.  Note wood floors.

After shopping spree at Un Jeur Ailleurs, boutique for "mature women" I've found in Paris in the past.

 The key to having a wonderful vacation this time was not over-scheduling.  I'd been to Paris so many times no need to see the Eiffel Tower again whereas son #1 had never been.  The only thing on my agenda were a trip to Monet's Giverny and The Christian Dior House, both recommended by my friend Ruby.

Day 1

Dior House

Ruby said you don't have to like fashion to enjoy this and she was right! A history of Christian Dior and designers up to today's time.  So well done!  Whimsical, historical, dreamy, full glam.





We decided to separate, I was going to go shopping and hubby was going to go to the Arc de Triumph which was closed last time.  We walked past and since there was no line I decided to go to.  So happy I did!



There was a branch of Un Jour Ailleurs not far away so I continued on.  It poured rain but I had my silly purple poncho and walked in to the boutique sopping wet.  The sales lady wasn't too happy until she realized I was going to buy a lot (including a rain coat).  Filled out the duty free refund paperwork in vain as there was no customs office to validate when we left Spain 😡😡

What a great first day.  Since it was raining we got falafel across the street and had a picnic in our apartment with all the cheese and baguettes we bought.  Great to have an apartment.


No comments: