Wednesday, September 28, 2022

We Saw It, We Saw It: The Matterhorn, Zermatt

I tracked the weather for a week before our Zermatt trip. At every turn, research said only go on sunny days. Clear skies required. Oh how annoyed I was to see rain the whole week, yes the whole week.

On the first day we took the cogwheel train up to the top, Gornegrat. We saw the Matterhorn for all of 10 seconds as the train went up up up the hill, and the Matterhorn was half covered with clouds. Up on the top it was beautiful, just breathtaking. Snowy huge mountains. It began to snow lightly and it was a dreamy gray winter wonderland with crisp cold Swiss Alps air.



I love being above the clouds

The next day, weather said partly cloudy between noon and three. As soon as we took the 4 1/2 a minute funicular ride up to Sunnegga, there it was! In all its glory. Oh how beautiful.


Since it is off-season, we had a gondola to the top-Rothorn all to ourselves. How majestic how beautiful, the whole day I could not stop staring at it.



Took the gondola back down one stop to Blauherd. Hubby does not like to walk so he decided to go back to the hotel while I explored the five lakes hike. I started along the path and decided to turn around because it was too narrow and I was scared. I walked along the bike route which was much wider and much nicer. I stopped so many times for photographs and to admire the view it took me double the time it should have. It would have been nice to have company with my hubby, but something about the solitude and serenity of the majestic Swiss Alps gave me peace & happiness. It’s an “I’m glad I’m alive” moment. Lucky to be here, lucky to have two eyes, two legs and to soak in all the beauty.

Popular to walk to lakes to see the reflections 

You know you are Swiss if you own walking poles. 



Hotel:  Apartments La Perla

Had a little kitchen which came in handy  

Restaurants

Neighbors recommended 2 restaurants only I made a reservation at the wrong one on 1st night 🤬 

Go to  Walliserkanne

Not Theodors Stuba at Walliserhof Hotel

Stockhorn Grill for steak was great where we watched them grill our tomahawk steak for 2  don’t suggest you try the orange wine from Spain though  there’s also another Stockholm restaurant  I hope we found the right one  😝



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! That’s great!

Roger and Sherry said...

We are jealous that you enjoy the beautiful nature all by yourself. It was wonderful that you guy saw the mountains in a clear day.

Anonymous said...

Sherry next time we will all go together!