Monday, January 21, 2019

Giving Blood

Those of you who know me would agree I never volunteer for anything.  I make a terrible volunteer, I forget, I don't show up, I'm too busy.  BUT there is one thing I can do regularly which is easy.  Give Blood.  Blood is the gift of life-and, if you work for a big company, they usually have blood drives right in the cafeteria so they make it very easy.

Fewer and fewer people are donating & they no longer come to our office.  Since its the only way I can do some good for humanity, I decided I should figure out a way to continue.  There's a local donor center in Scotch Plains (12 minute drive away), or often there's a drive at a local church in Summit.

Saturday I totally zoned out and forgot my 1:30 appointment,  Yep, I was just sitting there watching Grey's Anatomy and doing my laundry.  At 3:30 I raced there only to realize it was too late.  Not wanting to miss my good deed for the week I went to Scotch Plains yesterday, not knowing if they would take me.  Sure they said.  Only one problem.  I'd been to Cambodia in the last 12 months and it automatically knocked me out.  Malaria fear.

WHAAAT?  Can't donate til October 2019.  How else will I fulfill my volunteering quota?  Should I lie?  Should I find out what countries are banned and just not say I'd been there?  When zika was big I wondered if I should put down I'd been to Brazil, but found out it was ok.  Next I'm going to Tanzania on a safari and for sure I'll bet that's on the NO list. 

So which should I give up?  World travelling or blood donation?  Or how can I get around this without lying?  I want to help, my blood is good-but as a nurse once said when I had a cold and was denied, you don't want cancer patients receiving sick blood.

No comments: