Friday, February 16, 2018

Gung Hay Fot Choy, Happy New Year of the Dog 4715

What traditions do you follow?  Growing up on Chinese New Year we had a ton.  First of all, no school.  It was an unwritten rule that we didn't attend our school, PS 130 on Chinese New Year.


  1. No washing your hair (washes away the good luck)
  2. No throwing out garbage (keep the good luck in the apartment)
  3. Clean your apartment from head-to-toe to start the new year with a clean, orderly home.
  4. Only good thoughts, no bad thoughts, no fighting with your brothers and sisters 
  5. Red envelopes--- Yay, receiving lucky money from your family.  Married (not single) relatives and friends pass out lucky money in red envelopes
  6. Eat sweets, lots of candy (specific kinds, mostly red, although they didn't taste all that good) to have a sweet and happy yearWe would eat fun see, the cellophane noodles
  7. My Mom loved to fry shrimp chips and the cellophone noodles
  8. There was one sticky rice sweet (a soft brick of puffed rice crispies with nuts, covered in honey) was my sister's favorite.  Think its called Ka Mah
  9. Dai Tay (big sweet).  My grandmother would make it, show us how.  Mix up lots of brown sugar and pound it into balls and little turnip flowers
  10. Low Bok Go (turnip pudding) -- brings in the new year
  11. My mom would put a small bowl of oranges with a red envelop in everyone's room for good luck.  Even the bathroom (I don't follow the bathroom custom, but there is a bowl of oranges in my bedroom now)
  12. Wear red for good luck!
  13. Parades!  As a girl scout I was always in the Chinese New Year parade.  Scared to death though of all the firecrackers, used to scare away the evil spirits.
  14. At work I hang up the red good luck decorations by my cube to insure I have a good year.  
Happy New Year.  So which of these customs do you think I still follow?

No comments: