Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Swiss Drivers License

 You have one year to get a Swiss drivers license from the time you arrive.  Its easy (ha ha).  You can use your US drivers license for one year, then you can "exchange" your US license for a Swiss one.

And so begins the adventure.  Just to fill out the forms was a hassle.  You need to have an eye exam & our friend recommended a local eye glass store.  Only one problem, hubby has a eye issues and didn't pass.  Needed to be seen by a "real" ophthalmologist since he couldn't read a line on the chart with his glasses.  That added another 2 weeks to the process since it was Christmas break (+ when David went to the appointment they weren't ready for him as the office had just moved). And btw, I walked out with a big bill for a new Rx and pair of glasses with special lenses, UV this, scratch proof that............

We decided it was a good idea to go on Chinese New Years since I cleared my work calendar.  All of the motor vehicles offices are in the middle of nowhere since they give actual drivers license tests there. We took the little rickety La Cure train to as it was only 3 stops from Nyon.  Only one problem, we pressed the button to get out at L'Asse but it didn't stop. AHHHHH!  All I heard was "prochain arret Trelex" and I knew we missed our stop ("Next stop, Trelex").  A co-worker lives in Trelex and I wondered if we should call him for help (or a ride).

A train worker pointed in the direction we had to go after we used our Google translate to say we missed the stop.  Hubby saw we could walk there, a 15 minute walk and it was actually a nice walk (but didn't get my 10,000 steps for the day).

Passed this nice church and open fields.  Literally there was no one on the road but hubby insisted on walking in the dirt when the occasional car passed by (even though they courteously drove in the middle of the road when they saw us).  I laughed so hard because his shoes got filthy filthy filthy with dirt and he said it would have been better for us to take the bus to Lausanne because it was an easier walk but who was he fooling!

Finally we get there in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't get my license because I renewed my NJ license two years ago.  They want to see you are an experienced driver and have a license for more than 2 years, so hubby got his but I couldn't get mine.  He actually got it in the mail the very next day!  Now that's service.

I contacted NJ Motor Vehicles to get a letter of proof of original date of NJ License.  Let's see how long it takes (my guess is 6 week before they reply).  By then it will be too late as my year will be up.


No comments: