Thursday, August 3, 2023

Egypt - Cairo April 2023

Whenever I went to the Museum of Natural History or any other exhibit that had mummies and Egyptian art I shied away from them as they looked boring and creepy.  Now that I know the history I can appreciate why they are so special and can't believe how they were discovered and survived.


Many of the tombs have just been discovered in modern times.  Buried over by centuries of nature (rain, flood) + different Kings and leaders conquering and taking over. Last time I was in London I couldn't get an appointment to see the Rosetta Stone which I thought would be interesting.  Glad I didn't because now I know the background.  It translates the hieroglyphics to an alphabet/language we can understand.  I didn't realize the original hieroglyphics were centuries old--that's why modern civilization couldn't translate/understand.

The first part of our trip was a 5 day Nile cruise which I liked better than the second part which was 3 days in Cairo.  I'll tell you about the Nile cruise another time, but below are our pictures from the Citadel (mosque), Great Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx.

Cairo is an old city and has no traffic lights.  We were scared to death to cross the street so we ended up not going out much at night.  We ate big breakfasts and lunches and enjoyed the 5 star hotel, air-conditioning, and watching silly movies in bed.













 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing!