Sunday, August 19, 2018

Great Barrier Reef, Day 2 July 15, 2018

Day 2 was a 100% different experience versus day 1.  We were so excited we took a helicopter ride to the reef.  We'd never been on a helicopter before.
Was a little disappointed the pilot didn't give us more of a tour or history/point out scenes from the reef.  The big bonus was it only took 1/2 an hour (or less) to get to the reef.  It took 2.5 hours to get back by boat.

We were able to see the pontoon from the helicopter.

It was somewhat windy and damp when we got off the helicopter.  A small boat took us to the pontoon and as soon as we got on I had a bad feeling.  It was cold and windy and the boat was full of Mainland Chinese tourists.  It was a huge boat of about 500 people-like a mob scene-exactly what I was trying to avoid.  Even thought of not snorkeling since it was so cold.  The lunch was a very traditional Chinese lunch in a hot floor of the boat--reminded me of the Staten Island Ferry.

My instincts were wrong.  The day was fabulous.  There were so many activities on the pontoon we didn't get to do them all.  First we went on the semi submarine where we saw beautiful fish and coral.  Not many, but they were gorgeous!  Got a little nervous when there were barf bags all over the place.


Next we struggled to get heavy wet suits on to go snorkeling.  Here I am walking down the steps like an old lady.  You can see in the distance there are white square floats to hang on to.  David hung on but didn't want to swim further.  I felt awful leaving him there-- he really didn't want to let go of the float.  I just wanted to pull him away so he could enjoy the fish and coral like I did but he just didn't want to.



Snorkeling in a shallow roped off snorkel area in the middle of the ocean was weird.  I saw a dumb tourist standing on leaf-like coral and wanted to push her off.  That's how the coral die you idiot.

The fish were indescribable--beautiful is the under-statement of the year.  Each fish more beautiful than the next.  I swam with a school of purple fish for a few minutes.  They let me follow them.  When they dove lower into the rocks, I dove as deep as I could.  What a privilege to be one with my fellow Aquarians.  I had no concept of where I was-the snorkeling area was big, but not that big.  We got to the pontoon too late to sign up for the snorkel tour which was disappointing.  I felt like I kept snorkeling in the same place-tried to savor the beauty - -  the coral was big and small, different purple and green (+ every other color in-between).  Yet I wanted to swim where I hadn't been before so I could see more.   I loved it and didn't want to leave but went to go check on David over-run on a bench by the tourists.  There were no more lockers to rent so we had to leave our bag on a bench.  After resting I went in again--after all this was my dream trip and I had to spend every available minute in the water with my fish!

With about an hour to go there was a fabulous demonstration/lecture on the fish of the sea.  They also threw food in to the water and a million fish came to eat it.  We could see them from the level below that had a huge glass window auditorium.  The guides really knew their stuff.

Finally we boarded the boat for return to Caines--a 2.5 hour ride squashed with other tourists.  Less rocky than day 1 but still a little nerve-wracking.  Snorkeling was probably better on day 2 versus day 1, even though the boat/experience on day 1 was much better.  Oh the trade-offs.

We ate  at "Prawn Star" which we found on YELP.  OMG this was so good.  Casual dinner on a small docked boat.  A Chinese person's dream where we had bugs and prawns for the second day + fresh fresh oysters.  A local diner told us bugs are called bugs because they crawl on the bottom of the ocean.  They are like a tiny little perfect morsel of lobster tail.  See pictures below.  No other explanation needed.







No comments: