Monday, May 25, 2015

Why is fruit so expensive?

I refuse to pay $3.00 for a small box of blueberries, or better yet, not even $2.99.

So I bought a small box of blackberries for 99 cents (6 ounces).  Small, small, small the box is so small.  I counted 26 blackberries in this small container.  That's 3.8 cents per blackberry.  Do you think its worth it?

Contrast that to my box of strawberries that I got for 2 for $5.00.  One for $2.50.  I counted 24 strawberries in the box (16 oz, 1 LB).  That's 10.4 cents per strawberry.  Do you think that's worth it?

Why is fruit so expensive? Let's say I had purchased the small box of blueberries for $3.00 (6 oz), and let's assume there were 45 blueberries in the box.  That would be 6.6 cents per blueberry.  Sweet juicy little blueberry.  Would it have been worth it?  I guess so.  If you compare that to a box of cookies which is now 2 for $6.00 or a loaf of break which is $4 or $5, yes-- for the taste and sweetness and nutrients, yes!

Why is food so expensive?

No comments: