Monday, April 6, 2009

Why is this blog called Modern Chinese American Woman?

Its named after my good friend Doris Chern. Doris is a Modern Chinese American Woman.

Years ago my younger son went to the company daycare center. The customary 4 year old birthday party was cancelled 3 consective Saturday's due to rain. The only way I could communicate with the other parents was to send an email through work email. Once again I sent a mass email to the parents to say the party was postponed, don't come to Bowcraft & clearly got Thomas Chavez's mom wrong. Another employee named Mr. Chavez in Brazil replied to me and said "What? Is this for me?" Imagine some businessman receiving an email from me saying the birthday party is cancelled again due to rain???????? I envisioned him to be a research scientist, or a plant manager, or a sales guy..............Who is this woman sending me an email about a child's bday party?

When I wrote to Doris and asked why her last name didn't match her son's she said she uses her maiden name..........After all, "I am a Modern Taiwanese American Woman!"

So I look up to Doris as a Modern Chinese American Woman!

No comments: